Leonard Weaver Apologizes for Slavery Comparison

Written By Bob Cunningham On Wednesday, March 23, 2011
It was bound to come sooner or later, but since he's already been chastised for the comments comparing what NFL players are going through to slavery, it's hard to know if Leonard Weaver's apology is sincere or simply a public relations move, but it did come rather quickly.

Wednesday morning, Weaver took to Twitter in an attempt to explain himself.

"Now, that I have seen it, I will say that it was hard for me to watch and after thinking about it, I've come to the conclusion that I represented my family, friends and organization the wrong way," Weaver said.  "I'm sorry for those words I used and if I offend anyone, please forgive me. To all my fans whom I've disappointed I'm sorry."

The initial comments surprised me because of the way Weaver usually carries himself, but I suppose he deserves the benefit of the doubt. It's entirely possible that, during the conversation, he simply got caught up in what he was talking about and said something he didn't really mean.
If you've ever been on the radio, TV, or given an interview where you know every word is being heard in live time and can be quoted forever, you understand how difficult it can be to think and talk at the same time.

Sometimes, the situation leads to things you will really, really regret later.

"I came off the wrong way," Weaver said, "but I want to explain myself. And I will..."

We look forward to hearing it.


Enter your email address to receive the best Philly sports news and analysis on the web!:

Delivered by FeedBurner

For the best in Philadelphia sports, look no further than Belmont.com. They've got you covered for all American sports wagering offering unparalleled customer service and fast payouts to the customers.

DISCLAIMER:

This site is strictly for informational and entertainment purposes, and is in no way affiliated with the National Football League or the Philadelphia Eagles. It also claims no rights to the trademarks of the NFL or Philadelphia Eagles.

2 Minutes to Midnight Green also claims no copyright to any photos used.